An induction programme is the process implemented in an organisation to welcome new employees to the company and prepare them for their new role. Induction is aimed at introducing the job and organization to the new employee Induction involves orientation and training of the employee in the organizational culture, rules and regulations, career growth opportunities and briefing about the HR policies.
Contents of an ideal induction programme:
- The company, its history and products, process of production and major operations involved in his job.
- The significance of the job with all necessary information about it including job training and job hazards.
- Structure of the organization and the functions of various departments.
- Employee’s own department and job, and how he fits into the organization.
- Personnel policy and sources of information.
- Company policies, practices, objectives and regulations.
- Terms and conditions of service, amenities and welfare facilities.
- Rules and regulations governing hours of work and over-time, safety and accident prevention, holidays and vacations, methods of reporting, tardiness and, absenteeism.
- Grievances procedure and discipline handling.
- Social benefits and recreation services.
- Opportunities, promotions, transfer, suggestion schemes and job satisfaction.
Yes Bank greets its new employees with drum beating session provided a stress buster and other various activities conducted to add experiential learning, rather than induction programme merely focusing on PPTs and lectures on organisational culture, etiquettes and opportunities.
At NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation), induction is serious business. The one-year programme takes them through six months each of classroom and on-the-job training with several initiatives to make them bond together such as two-week theatre workshop by the National School of Drama. Corporation also does a lot of fun things such has theatre workshops for dramas , cultural programmes for graduate engineers as they are called to participate in workshop and stage dramas on various issues and hosting of dinner by top management to help them come together as they come from different parts of the country.
Boston Consulting Group’s (BCG) India office, offers layered induction programme for new employees, which includes various informal dinner to interact with each other as new joinees are from different parts of the country.
- Determination of a job to which an accepted candidate is to be assigned.
- Right job for the Right Person at the Right Time