Total way in which an individual reacts & interacts with others
-Physical Attributes – Looks & Acts
-Mental Attributes – Feel & Think
Ways in which an individual reacts & interacts which reflects its behaviour & characteristics
The unique & relatively stable patterns of behaviour, thoughts and emotions shown by individuals
Determinants Of Personality
BIG FIVE-PERSONALITY MODEL
- EXTROVERSION: Outgoing & Sociable
- AGREEABLENESS: Cooperative (A persons ability to get along with each other)
- OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCES: Imaginative (A persons range of interests)
- CONSSCIENTIOUSNESS: Responsible (The number of goals that a person focuses on)
- EMOTIONAL STABILITY: Calm (A persons ability to cope up with Stress)
TRAIT THEORY OF PERSONALITY
In order to understand an individual, we must break down behaviour pattern into a series of observable traits.
Combining these traits will form an individual’s personality.
MYERS BRIGGS TYPE INDICATOR (MBTI)
MBTI – A tool to measure personality) 16 Distinct Types
- Sociable- Extrovert
- Introvert -Quite
- Practical – Sensing
- Intuitive- Unconscious Process
- Logical- Thinking
- Feeling- Emotions
- Work Structured- Judge
- Perceiving- Flexible
HOLLANDS TYPOLOGY OF PERSONALITY
Linking personality with Occupations
- Realistic – physical activities – Mechanic
- Investigative – involve thinking – Economic
- Social – Helping others – Teacher
- Conventional – Rule Regulated – Accountant
- Enterprising – verbally influence others – Lawyer, public relations
- Artistic – Creative – Interior decorator, writer
- Projective Technique: Individuals are shown pictures
- Self-Report Questionnaire: MMPI (Minnesota Multi phasic Personality Inventory)
- Observer rating Technique
LOCUS OF CONTROL
The degree to which people believe that they : Individuals who believe that they can conare the masters of their fate.
-INTERNAL trol whatever will happen to them
-EXTERNAL: Individuals who believe that whatever happens to them is by LUCK/CHANCE
An individual’s belief that he can perform effectively in the situation.
A personality trait involving willingness to manipulate others for one’s own purpose.
MORNING PERSONS – those who feel energetic & alert early in the day
EVENING PERSONS – those who feel energetic & alert in the day or at night
COGNITIVE INTELLIGENCE The ability to understand complex ideas, adapt effectively to the environment, learn from experience & overcome obstacles with careful thought.
EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE: The ability to recognize & regulate our own emotions to influence others or to self motivate
EMOTIONAL CONTAGION: The tendency to mimic the emotional expressions of others, converging with them emotionally.
EMOTIONAL DISSONANCE: Inconsistencies between the emotions we feel & the emotions that we express.
PRESENTISM: The practice of showing up for work but being too sick to be able to work effectively.