“SELF FORMED TEAM – SFT” and “SELF MANAGED TEAM- SMT” –Unique Employee Engagement Practice
SELF MANAGED TEAM – Here Teams work without supervision. This is also called also called supervision-less system. It sounds surprising but it’s a fact.
RPG Group (Ceat/ Spencers) has come out with this concept. This concept was started by P&G, followed by DuPont and a few other organizations. Here they are trained and empowered to plan, review the gaps, brainstorms among them to identify the reason for gaps, take work place decisions & execute their day to day operations. This enables them to come out with the best possible ways to execute tasks. The accountability & responsibility of accomplishment of the tasks complete rests on the team members.
This practice was initiated at the CEAT Plant at Halol(Gujrat). It resulted in higher productivity & harmony among the employees.
SELF FORMED TEAM – Here a group of employees voluntarily comes ahead and forms a team for performing an activity/task. Here the employees have the freedom to form groups based on common interests. Facilitating such group formation increases social bonding and higher level of employee engagement.
Corporate Initiatives to form Self Formed Teams
Community development teams are there to generate awareness on safety, working mothers groups, and a self-formed cricket team. In fact a group of employees came together to modify a junkyard in the office premises and convert it into a sports arena
Several groups has been facilitated here where in employee come together to discuss/ brainstorm about various issues health & safety, employee facilities like transportation, canteen & come out with better innovative solutions.
In fact a team has started Yoga Class where the objective is not only about the health but also a platform for cross functional employees meet aiming better collaboration at work.
Edelweiss Financial Services
Groups such as adventure club, running club and photography club has been initiated by the HR team where like-minded people can come together and engage in their hobbies and interests. The social networking site of the organization called PING also enables people with similar interests to come together, share and learn.
There are five councils: Community Service, Grey Cells – deals with quizzing and other intellectual interests), Sports, Personal Talent and Wellness.
HCL also has Interest Clubs, which are primarily online platforms for the employees with common interest to connect. There are eight such clubs: Clic – The Photography Club, The Foodies Club, The Pet Club, The Toastmasters Club, Library On Demand, HCL Record breakers, The Polyglots corner and Bikers’ Club. These clubs use the company’s internal social networking platform ‘MEME’ to bring together like-minded people who wish to share tips, pictures, and knowledge.
Self managed team
Standard Chartered Bank
This bank has a recreation club which organizes indoor game tournaments during the monsoon as well as hockey, cricket and football tournaments.
Nielsen has various clubs include Hit F5 (employee fun club), wellness club, dance club, and a soon-to-be-launched cooking club
Dell has a number of interest groups that are formed and run by the employee: the runners group, photography club, quizzing club, toastmasters club, cricket club and cycling club.
At Philips, the largest self-formed group is called JOSH: it drives small fun-at-work initiatives like quizzes. Employees have also formed interest groups like photographers club, trekking group, etc.
BENEFITS OF SELF FORMED TEAMS
- These groups gets employees to come out from the shell and have fun, create positive work environment which reflects a better engaged workforce.
- It helps an organization to motivate employees without any huge investment
- This enables employees to connect and establish strong social bonds with colleagues and develop team spirit.
- The employees use such opportunity to express themselves, learn & exchange knowledge freely. The outcome is more connected, content & productive.
- These initiatives keep the employee morale high & make them passionate about their work.
- This encourages employees to break the monotony of work too.
- Finally this results in higher level of employee engagement
HR PRACTICES in Best Women Friendly Companies in India
- Its day care center is known as ‘Baby’s Day Out’ from where mothers can work while taking care of their child
- Extended maternity leave. For cases of extended maternity, accompanying their spouse on travel, or caring for dependent family members, special leaves can be claimed.
- Leaves on special occasions
Silver Spark Apparels – Clothing Manufacturers (secondary branch of the Raymond group)
- The percentage of women employees is around 90 percent
- It offers a day care facility, teachers, various social and cultural activities for the women employees and their children
- It has formed a community for all the female employees called ‘Vahini’. Vahini deals with various sort of problems that a female employees may come across during the on/off working hours. It helps in discussions and conducts seminars/workshops on financial issues and also educates the women employees to become good parents.
- One of the best facilities that Accenture offers to its female employees is visit to gynecologist for the expecting mothers
- Moreover, it has a 24×7 dedicated helpline service for women.
Ernst and Young Global Shared Services
- 50% of their workforce is females. It has a day care facility known as ‘Ashray’ where children of the female employees are taken special care
- In fact expectant mothers can choose the option of working from homes.
- Security guards as escorts are provided to every female employee who works late-evening.
- Infosys has come up with Infosys Women Inclusivity Initiative’ (IWIN) which devoted to only women employees
- IWIN provides 24×7 counseling for the female employees. It has day care facility, deals with parenting matters, etc.
- IWIN has a discussion board that helps female employees to seek advice and suggestions regarding childcare and other similar matters. Even Online support during child bearing period is one the best services of IWIN.
- The employees get regular visits by gynecologists, nutrition specialists, physiotherapists and other health related specialists. IWIN has online doctors for all the employees, especially for the female employees. It also offers special yoga classes for the expecting mothers.
- The female employees are allowed to take a year’s leave for family reasons.
- It offers its female employees sabbaticals, extended maternity leave, and enhanced training when they come back to the office.
- In TCS 11% of the senior management comprises women
- The best part of TCS is that does not break the service record of women who discontinue work due to family commitments and return at a later stage
- The company also allows provides role flexibility through job rotations across businesses, practices and functions.
- A framework called DAWN (Diversity and Women’s Network) has been set up to nurture the professional growth of women associates, focused on encouraging diversity and inclusion in the workforce.
- It has 15% women among Indian employees, has 30% women in its core senior leadership of 15 members.
- Female Talent Council,has been set up by the company which is an initiative that helps women come together, share experiences, problems and solutions.
- A mentoring program that pairs 12 high-potential women executives with Executive Committee members at PepsiCo Asia Pacific
Google Inc :
It has taxis on call for employees, a particular draw for women who may need to rush home to care for a sick family member.
It runs on-site day camps during school holidays in the spring
IBM India Pvt. Ltd
- In suburban residential complexes the recruitment teams are sent to hire a only-woman as a part of the programme that seeks to bring experienced women back into the workforce
- The company offers flexible working hours as well as telecommuting options for employees who can work from home and extended maternity leave. It also allocates shifts taking families into consideration.
- Adoption leave, which enables employees to avail of three months’ paid leave when they adopt a child.
- They even have a Women Leadership Council.
LEADERSHIP MANUFACTURING UNITS – how leaders are made in today’s corporate world!
TATA group emphasizes on in-house Leadership Development Programmes.
Tata Leadership Seminars (TLS)
- Tata Group Strategic Leadership Seminar (TGSLS) – MDs, the CEOs, COOs and those with a potential to assume such roles in the Immediate / near future.
- Tata Group Executive Leadership Seminar – Senior management professionals, functional heads.
- Tata Group Emerging Leaders Seminar (TGeLS) – This is for high potential emerging leaders from middle levels of management ideally in the age group of 30 to 40
McD Mentoring– Every learner is assigned a coach at every step of development.
- Develop the employee skills
- Build their confidence and competence
- Career guidance for crew and managers
- Succession planning
McDonald’s Leadership Institute
- It develops critical leadership skills needed to address both long- and short-term business challenges.
- “Individual development plans,, map out leadership training in support of one’s performance and career goals.”
- Accelerated Leadership Development Programs – for high-potential directors and officers
Restaurant leadership training programme For Restaurant General managers
- Five-day programme from Hamburger University. Career guidance for crew and managers
- To apply leadership behaviors, lead their restaurant, and develop their department managers.
Infosys Leadership Institute
- It nurtures leaders and advances the field of leadership development. ILI works toward ensuring that Infosys has appropriate leaders to take on senior leadership positions as and when they arise
- ILI ensures that Infosys has a pool of successful and ready leaders to build tomorrow’s enterprise.
Areas Focused :
- Strategic Leadership
- Change/ Adversity Leadership
- Operational Leadership
- Talent Leadership
- Relationship/ Networking Leadership
- Content Leadership
- Entrepreneurial Leadership
Starbucks Leadership Lab
- Impart leadership training, with a a problem-solving framework.
- Demonstrations of new product, blend development, and customer service.
- But what makes the Leadership Lab different than a typical corporate trade show is the production surrounding all of this. The lights, the music, and the dramatic big screens all help Starbucks marinate its store managers in its brand and culture. It’s theater–a concept that Starbucks itself is built
The Best companies for grooming leaders
- IBM – The New York-headquartered technology company sends SWAT teams to coach their local staff.
- General Mills – Fortune 500 company- primarily deals with food products – such as Pillsbury – over 90 per cent of management promotions are internal.
- Procter & Gamble– Every chief executive at P&G started at the entry level in the company.
- Aditya Birla Group – operates in over 33 countries, honours its employees who teach skills to villagers
- Colgate-Palmolive – has a 7 -day Colgate Leadership Challenge in which junior employees work on a team business project, are taken through presentations by senior leaders, and do charity work.
- Hindustan Unilever – sends young managers to live in Indian villages so that they can understand the needs of rural consumers.
- ICICI Bank – assigns talent scouts to identify promising employees.
- McDonald’s – has an officer development programme to train talent in finance, human resources and marketing
- Whirlpool – has a set of senior executives who serve as “innovation mentors” who are tasked with evaluating business ideas.
- PepsiCo – works on 10-year growth plans for individuals who the company believes have the potential climb high on the corporate ladder.
- Bharti Airtel– The company has a reverse mentoring programme, in which junior employees tutor senior staff about new technology