Often it is debated that Leaders are Born or made.
Here are few examples of how leaders are made in today’s corporate world.
- Tatas among top 5 leadership firms in Asia.
- TATA group emphasizes on in-house Leadership Development Programmes.
- Tata Leadership Seminars (TLS)
- Tata Group Strategic Leadership Seminar (TGSLS) – MDs, the CEOs, COOs and those with a potential to assume such roles in the Immediate / near future.
- Tata Group Executive Leadership Seminar – Senior management professionals, functional heads.
- Tata Group Emerging Leaders Seminar (TGeLS) – This is for high potential emerging leaders from middle levels of management ideally in the age group of 30 to 40
McD Mentoring– Every learner is assigned a coach at every step of development.
- Develop the employee skills
- Build their confidence and competence
- Career guidance for crew and managers
- Succession planning
McDonald’s Leadership Institute
- It develops critical leadership skills needed to address both long- and short-term business challenges.
- “Individual development plans,, map out leadership training in support of one’s performance and career goals.”
- Accelerated Leadership Development Programs – for high-potential directors and officers
- Restaurant leadership training programme For Restaurant General managers
- Five-day programme from Hamburger University. Career guidance for crew and managers
- To apply leadership behaviors, lead their restaurant, and develop their department managers.
Infosys Leadership Institute
ILI ensures that Infosys has a pool of successful and ready leaders to build tomorrow’s enterprise.
Areas Focused :
- Strategic Leadership
- Change/ Adversity Leadership
- Operational Leadership
- Talent Leadership
- Relationship/ Networking Leadership
- Content Leadership
- Entrepreneurial Leadership
Starbucks Leadership Lab
- Impart leadership training, with a a problem-solving framework.
- Demonstrations of new product, blend development, and customer service.
- But what makes the Leadership Lab different than a typical corporate trade show is the production surrounding all of this. The lights, the music, and the dramatic big screens all help Starbucks marinate its store managers in its brand and culture. It’s theater–a concept that Starbucks itself is built
The Best companies for grooming leaders
General Mills – Fortune 500 company- primarily deals with food products – such as Pillsbury – over 90 per cent of management promotions are internal.
Procter & Gamble– Every chief executive at P&G started at the entry level in the company.
Aditya Birla Group – operates in over 33 countries, honours its employees who teach skills to villagers
Colgate-Palmolive – has a 7 -day Colgate Leadership Challenge in which junior employees work on a team business project, are taken through presentations by senior leaders, and do charity work.
Hindustan Unilever – sends young managers to live in Indian villages so that they can understand the needs of rural consumers.
ICICI Bank – assigns talent scouts to identify promising employees.
McDonald’s – has an officer development programme to train talent in finance, human resources and marketing
Whirlpool – has a set of senior executives who serve as “innovation mentors” who are tasked with evaluating business ideas.
PepsiCo – works on 10-year growth plans for individuals who the company believes have the potential climb high on the corporate ladder.
Bharti Airtel– The company has a reverse mentoring programme, in which junior employees tutor senior staff about new technology.